Welcome to Week Six of the One Room Challenge! If you're new here, hello and welcome! First, a little background...
One Room Challenge is a very fun blog link-up sponsored by the awesome Linda of Calling It Home. Dozens of bloggers have made over various rooms in their home or someone else's, ranging from bedrooms, kitchens, offices, etc. Grab a cup of coffee and go here for the jackpot of before-and-afters I, for one, can't wait to see everyone's reveals!
The project I decided to tackle is our deck. We've been in our house for more than five years and this space has been neglected pretty badly. I work best with a deadline and decided this accountability was just what I needed to create a usable, pretty and welcoming outdoor space. If you're interested in more background, here are links to previous weeks' posts:
For a little added suspense, here are a couple of 'before' photos:
And for some context, below is the front of our house. It's an Italianate style, similar to a Victorian but with a flat facade. Our lot is 25 feet wide and the house less than 1000 square feet, and we love every bit of it! We consider it nothing short of a miracle to own a home in San Francisco and thank God for this incredible, generous gift.
If you've been following along, you know that we painted the back of the house as part of this project (which explains the colorful front vs. the white in back!). In Week One's post, I talk about my rationale behind the new colors we chose.
Now that we've covered some background…let's see the deck, shall we?
My first couple of ORC posts were more about brainstorming and inspiration-gathering, and I laid out some pretty lofty goals. Although they weren't all achieved, we're pretty thrilled with the outcome -- especially with how much we were able to use many items we owned already. And I said from the beginning that I was going to approach this the same way I've decorated the inside of our home…bit by bit, adding and collecting and improving the space as time goes on. The goal for now was to create a space to accommodate some outdoor living - a good foundation - and with this in mind, I'd say the goal was exceeded!
We have seating for lounging, seating for reading, and table & chairs for meals. A few good-sized plants go a long way for creating atmosphere and defining different seating zones. (Tip: one large plant is so much more effective than a handful of small ones!) Nighttime lighting is welcoming and cozifying. For parties, I'll bring out the art and extra pillows. Our grill will no longer be neglected now that I want to pay attention to it! It feels like our house almost doubled in size, and we're thrilled.
I've talked about the color scheme quite a bit over these past few week, and how it's somewhat of a departure for me. It's been a really fun challenge to stay away from my usual, bright colors/patterns…and I love it. This doesn't mean I've converted completely, but I'm definitely excited about playing around with different mixes going forward. In this space, I really wanted to keep things calm, relaxing, soothing. I typically crave saturation and a mix of patterns, but this is intentionally meant to be an escape from that. For you newer visitors, here are a few examples of my typical layered, eclectic, patternful style for context:
Okay, back to the deck!
Here are details on the main elements:
- Rattan sofa: Craigslist!
- Sofa pillows: Stripes and floral: Sewn by me with fabric samples from local fabric outlet (crazy bargain!) / Large white & gold: Target (found on clearance last week - don't see them on website now)
- Green lounge chairs: Ikea (purchased via Craigslist over five years ago!), spray painted
- Dining chairs: Craigslist several years ago. This is the second time I've made them over and I am looooving the outcome.
- Rattan (bamboo?) light shades (mounted on black fence): Thrifted! The dome lights underneath are solar-powered and pretty awesome, from Ikea. (side note: I was on my way to Ikea when I stopped at the thrift store where the light shades were found, and had an idea about how I wanted to use them…and could not believe it when I found these lights which work PERFECTLY underneath!)
- Purple and green side tables: Thrifted and painted
- Grill cover: Fabric from Joann's clearance; sewn by my sister
- Art: Two framed pieces - thrifted; Zebra - Ross
- Area rug: Target
Let me know if you have questions about anything else - happy to answer!
Thank you again for joining in the fun! I had such a great time with this project, and send a huge thank you to Linda for all her work hosting the blogging event of the season. This definitely won't be my last One Room Challenge. :) I hope to see you back soon!